Monday 31 August 2009

Trivia hosts unplugged

I can tell you why I host trivia in SL. I enjoy the whole process of trivia hosting. Doing the research and framing the questions can be onerous sometimes, but delving through reference books and Wiki is never dull for me. So many byways and new fields to explore. And although I'm quite a shy person in RL, there is an actress in me, and standing up in front of a virtual crowd does something for my ego.
And I have made friends with so many wonderful people (that's you!), and I can try out new ideas which, if they go wrong, can't hurt anyone except myself.



Cully Andel hosting at Double Standards.

It's Cully's rezday today, many happy returns Cully!







And I got to wondering why ever
yone else hosts, so I sent out a survey to every host on my friends list. If I did not ask you I'm so sorry, but please please tell us why you host in comments. If you replied but your answer isn't here, I missed your IM, please tell me quick and I'll edit you in! And if I'm not on your friends list but should be, just open up that blue box and tell me.

Thank you everyone for your responses, and I have found them fascinating. Some were IM, which explains the chatty style of some, and some were notecards. I'm going to post them verbatim and without comment from me. Comment from you would be wonderful.

I asked people to describe, preferably in one sentence, why they host (Sinnamon wins the prize for the longest sentence). And this is what they said:

Cully Andel:
Why do I host -well it ain't for the money! Well - I guess I've always been one for organising things. And I like to have fun doing it. Most trivia events are great fun because of the people there - and it's a nice being able to offer fun events which people enjoy. (Which I hope I do)

I think that's probably why - and of course I'm nuts - which you have to be :)


Maggie Sewell: Because it's a way of giving back to people who give up much for others. I have no other skills.




My very good friend Kiriaster Mirakjar at Double Standards






Honey Potez: In one sentence/thought: I have continued to host trivia for almost two years because of the people: 1) the people that tend to follow trivia are genuine, thoughtful, intelligent and smart, and 2) many people depend on all of the hosts as constant companions and friends as they have RL illnesses or issues preventing them from fully living in the real world and depend on our events as something to look forward to each day.

I know it’s a long response but hosting is something I am passionate about :)


Lacey Lukas: I enjoy hosting trivia because I've always been a "game" type of person... watching game shows on tv, play games in RL ... and trivia has been one my favourite games. And I've discovered in SL that apparently I can't read the questions fast enough to beat the "fast fingers" in SL so being a host is the next best thing to playing. The trivia environment in SL is a lot of fun thanks to the colourful group of people who participate. Every event is always full of fun and laughter and what more could a person ask for :)


AnaMaria Quintessa: I said it was because I was a megalomaniac.I want to stand upon a pedestal dispensing favour and LindenDollars amongst the intelligentsia like a fickle despotic monarch bestowing patronage to their favourites; who just so happen to know the same irrelevent factoids that I currently value.On the more altruistic side, i don't want to just be what Lou has called a "parasite" ie just turning up enjoying the Qs and taking money off peopleOn the insecure side, i felt would only ever be a second class member of the trivia community and would not have "arrived" until i hosted my own game.


JoshuaStephen Schism: I like to give back to the trivia community and I like to be on stage


Chaddington Boomhauer: My main motivation for hosting trivia is that it's fun to do. It's also to ensure there is a trivia event I can't be ejected from ;)


Rickson Barbosa: hi Lotus, got your notecard...best way I can sum up the motivation thing is just that I enjoy it...I enjoy the researching and the asking. I wish I could give you something more philosophical but I can't really. :D



The Daremistress herself Lette Ponnier plans something for her next victim nominee









Circe Falta: Hey Lotus- Why do I host? Because it's fun. Actually, I was just filling in a spot while Lyss was gone, and it kind of stuck. But I kept doing it, because I enjoy coming up with the questions (usually), and tying everything together, trying to fit in a bunny somewhere. I like testing people's knowledge, and more, learning on my own while I research too- I get distracted a lot so it takes me all day sometimes. lol. I hope something there helps :)


Lette Ponnier: so... each time I’ve started a new trivia game, it's been because I had an idea about a new way to play trivia that seemed like it would be fun and I get excited about the idea, and I have to carry it out. This is how chaos, bucc bowl, and birthday suit trivia all started. So hosting, for me, is about innovating and creating and seeing good ideas come to fruition, and seeing people really enjoy the work that I put into it.

Impromptu is the only one that follows a standard format, and i started doing that when there was a gap in the schedule and i felt like having trivia and figured if no one else was having it, I might as well do it myself.


Mako Kungfu: My main motivation for hosting, when I was a host, was as a sort of PR move to bring people to Armada and have them experience the place. I did it for the fun of introducing people to a new location and to source material (the works of China Mieville) that they were probably unfamiliar with... and to get those mental gears cranking -- a lot of trivia is pretty inane, but I think it was hard to attend an Armada trivia without learning something. It was a smart crowd of engaged players in an interesting location, which I really enjoyed. It was also a bit of a unique situation -- I don't think I'd be as interested in hosting at a club or something. In those cases, I prefer to play.


Nelly Swindlehurst: OK here's my quote for ya.... My motivation for hosting trivia? Well its fun! You get to control the questions being asked and therefore subject matter, you usually walk away with more money than you started with... and everyone actually has to pay attention to you :)


Karmel Kips: I co-host at Lilly's so I can stay off the Lotus Blacklist! But seriously... I host trivia because I enjoy sharing interesting information with others while keeping them entertained.


Sinnamon Sands: Hey Lotus, sorry I hadn't got back to you on the survey... wasn't really sure what to say... I guess I originally got into hosting to try to attract people to the club, but I found that I liked it because of the creative and social aspects of it. Creative in that you get to try to come up with questions and deliberate about having a good mix of subjects, difficulty levels, things that will interest and entertain people. And you get to have the opportunity to shape an event in the image of what you think will be fun and entertaining for people, to experiment with some different styles and things. The main reason is just that I enjoy the social experience of hosting, having a lot of new people and regulars both come to chat, hang out, have fun in an environment


Thanks so much everyone, just what I was looking for! And onto your Lindeny questions. I pay 10L, paid in world, for each first correct answer. Answer in comments please, replace the missing letters.


1. 5280 FIAM


2. LPN 9


3. 5 BBWBTT


4. 90 NIABG


5. 78 CIATP


6. 646 CITUKP


7. T 10 C


8. NG 33 1/3 TFI


9. 206 BITHB


10. 9 SBLvB

14 comments:

  1. 3 - 5 bucc bowl wins by the triviators

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. 5280 feet in a mile

    9. 206 bones in the human body

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoshuaStephen Schism31 August 2009 at 19:57

    8. Naked Gun 33 and 1/3

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoshuaStephen Schism31 August 2009 at 19:59

    Naked Gun 33 and 1/3: The final insult

    ReplyDelete
  5. 646 Constituencies in the United Kingdom parliament

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10. 9 Symphonies by Ludwig von Beethoven (woot, I got the muso one!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You already did "78 cards in a tarot pack" btw

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well don everyone! So we have:

    Cully 3 & 7 (couldn't resist a Triviators one)

    Jez 1 & 9

    Josh 8

    Ana 5 & 6, i forgot I had done that one before

    Angelo 10

    Which leaves 2 & 4.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Becki! And no, Mags!

    2 is a song.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Number 2 = Love Potion Number 9
    Or, as we'd say on the left side of the pond:
    #2 = Love Potion #9
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No it's Love Potion No.9. Should I pay her?

    :)

    ReplyDelete