Saturday 12 September 2009

Typing faster than the speed of light

Speed typing. Becki posted on this recently, bemoaning her 3MB connection, and how it handicaps competing at Buccaneer Bowl. I just checked my speed now which came in at 3.5MB, and I'm just a two fingered typist, but my Buccaneer Bowl record is respectable soooo I think I'll keep quiet on that subject...

First of all let me say right away that I think there's no avoiding it. If you give people enough time in SL trivia they will Google. You can ask people not to as much as you like, and most will play to the spirit of the game, but once someone starts Googling everyone else is at a big disadvantage. And in my opinion all efforts to kill speed typing founder on the rock of Google.



Tori, Sharon, Kiri, Polaris and Lotus are the naughty girls in the penalty box at Sharon's Diner







My own opinion is, if we can't eliminate Google, we may as well embrace it, and there are countless times when I'm hosting that I've been glad of someone Googling a question that has turned out to be too hard. Karmel says in an ideal event everyone would win once, and while I think this is right, I find it harder to do in practice. Some people are just very good, but here's my thoughts on how we hosts should think about it:
  • Avoid themes unless they are very broad
  • Do not run events about one country's popular culture
  • Be generous with Pity Lindens (I love that phrase, was it Nelly who came up with it?)
  • Try and find something that can involve everyone
  • Try and make it fun! Don't be too serious!
I try to do this myself, and that's why I've run the Easter Eggs and money for typos. But no matter how hard I try, it tends to be the regular players who get the Easter Eggs, and my typos seem to be a major income stream for Sharon Scofield and Nelly Swindlehurst. Please, everyone, check my Lilly's and EyeQ notices for the Easter Egg links. It's money for jam, it really is. I want to give you the Lindens!


Glimmer Mattercaster wearing a Karmel and
Lotus shirt after she won the Challenge question at Lilly's.
The question was "In the Harry Potter books, who does Harry marry?"




I've rather strayed from the speed typing subject, but the reason why it's so prevalent is that all efforts to deal with it turn out unsatisfactory to my way of thinking, in one way or another.

Samantha Poindexter uses an innovative HUD system for her strip trivia event, where you have to choose one of four answers. The winner is chosen randomly from the correct answers, the losers remove an item of clothing and it's rather neat and fun. But for me it lacks something, because multiple choice questions are so hard to write. Either they are far too easy, or so hard it just seems like guessing, and I rather think this is intrinsic to the system, and not the fault of the question setter.




Tori Lok and Sweejen Stourmead at Lilly's







I wonder if this could be solved by removing the multiple choice element and the host marking free text answers right or wrong? I wouldn't like to have to mark 20answers for every question myself, though.
I've played games where players send answers in IM, but I don't much like this. Anyone who wants can Google answers, and it removes much of the social aspect of the game. I would far rather play a fun game for fewer Lindens than a boring one for lots of Lindens.

Personally I think we are stuck with speed typing, and it's the job of us trivia hosts to make it interesting for people without lightning fingers, but who know their trivia. And that brings me onto your lindeny questions, and those of you who come to my events might just be familiar with Dingbats. I've got five for you today, 20L for each first correct answer in comments, paid in world.




19 comments:

  1. The Odds are Overwhelming
    Square Root
    Peapod (??)
    High and Dry

    (and I didn't Google any, Lotus)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I google every question. I share that sense of relief sometimes that someone does on very hard ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi n dry yes
    Overwhelming odds
    Square root, wtg Becki, still 2 to get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two peas in a pod.

    Something about business.

    Going out of business?

    Close of business?

    No end of business?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peas in a pod is right!

    Oh so close but no!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfinished business!

    (Whew, finally!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Lotus, I will admit that I Google a lot. Too much. I try not to, but I am a problem solver by nature. In my brain, a trivia question I don't know the answer to equals a problem to be solved. Even so, anyone who DOES know the answer usually has already typed it in by the time it takes me to Google out and get back.

    It was brought to my attention recently by another player that most people attend trivia events primarily to have fun, not to answer every question or prove something. And I certainly agree that proving yourself to be the fastest Googler in the crowd does not enhance the fun for anybody.

    I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I google some, more than I ought I suspect or why would I feel a little guilty about it? :)
    Sometimes I google but don't give answer, just to know. And it is something of a feel-good challenge, to look at the question and google just the right keywords so that you can find the answer by scanning the first few hits.

    And of course sometimes the game does devolve into competing googlers. Which isn't nearly as much fun. I'm trying to do better about that, Lotus, really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I forgot. I've dabbled a bit in writing anti-google Qs. That is, the topic and the question phrasing phrased in such a way that you can't just google the keywords in the question and come up with the answer, at least not in the first page of hits.

    Hard, though, and time-consuming. And lots of typical trivia questions - just no way to do that, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can confidently say I have never Googled an SL trivia answer. If I don't know, I'll irritatingly keep guessing or smartassing until someone comes up with it or the host gives up and rolls it over. I refuse to Google answers for a few reasons. One, I really love the warm fuzzy's that coincide with having thought up a right answer even if a 100% guess. Two, I am fiercely competitive and sportsmanlike to the depths of my soul. Something about Googling feels like cheating to me. Three, I'm afraid someone will ask me to expand upon my answer and well, if I had to Google it, I clearly don't know anything about the subject and will look a fool! And finally, I really don't want to. I could if I wanted, I have 2 great computers at my fingertips and a superfast connection. However, I am one of those people who go to trivia primarily for the good times. So there ya have it. And Lotus, I like those brain teasers far better than the anagrams (or whatever). If I'd seen this sooner I would have actually had a couple of those! Good post :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I google only after the question has been answered to find out more information on topics that interest me. With my typos and slow typing, I would never be able to google and answer in time.

    I don't care if others find answers by googling and collect the cash. Winning 20 or 50L are just not worth it to me. I'd rather rely on the very weird brains we trivia players have.

    I always laugh when someone says, we are so smart. Nope, we are an advanced (I think) bunch of rainmans. No normal 35 year old should know Bob Hope's wife's name. Sometimes, it worries me. Now, where did I put my shoe?

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3MB!!! I'd kill for that kind of speed!!! MInes 1.6:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. And as for the google bit - I just don't bother anymore. It's more fun trying to see if my poor brain can come up with anything remotely intelligent as a guess (which if the topic is geography is really hard). For the most part google doesn't interfere with trivia. If someone knows the answer they'll get it before a google anyway no matter what the speed of the connection.

    I would love to know how much connection speeds play a part though. Some people have typed an answer before I've seen the question, and that's not always just down to lag. Unfortunately I live in the sticks so I'm never likely to find out whether a decent connection would help, but I'm sure some people have a slight advantage with this. (3MB!!!! slow!!!)

    But the most important thing is to enjoy the trivia and have fun with it. That's why we're all here after all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't agree with you there Minty. I've never heard anyone say that we as a group are so smart, but I have met some *very* smart people through trivia, and almost all the good players I have talked to have been interesting and bright people, with a good insight into themselves

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought to check my connection speed before. 1-1.5 MBps according to McAfee and Speedtest.net. On a Sunday when nobody else in the house is online. Not all bad, since it gives me another rationalization to duck away from Bucc Bowl like the little frightened rabbit I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying to google what the "MB" in your typing speeds means and I'm not finding it. Good thing I don't rely on that during trivia. :P

    I think the trivia community is pretty smart, on the whole, but I don't think that trivia performance is the indication of that; I think interest in the knowledge and information is a better illustration. Or maybe I just hang out with the smart ones. {smile}

    I used to worry about people googling in games, but my energy isn't in it anymore to stress about that. When I write questions of my own, I write them to have answers people can come to eventually without looking them up, and at that point I ask the group kindly not to google because it just won't be necessary. When I borrow questions from elsewhere, as I typically do for Chaos, it's a different matter, and since Chaos is only barely about the trivia anyway, googlers are way down low on my list of concerns, after making sure the game moves along at a reasonable pace and there is enough nakedness to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. there are trivia questions at Chaos??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice thoughtful post, Lotus. Yes, I have said at the ideal event everyone would win at least once. This involves writing questions that are not too easy, not too hard, and not always playing to the same people's strenths. It IS difficult to write questions that one or two, but not six people, will know. About 1/3 of the players on average will win when I host. Not even close to everyone, but better than at many events. If I have misjudged the question and no one knows it, I am please that someone will look it up. If someone knows the answer, someone else Googlin will not beat them, anyway, I think... whatever the connection speed. I do think there is at least intellectual skill, and not just physical typing, involved in Googling. But I don't want to look down my nose at speed typers... I'm just glad the distain for Googlers seems to be diminishing. Maybe we can all be more tolerant :) Karmel Kips

    ReplyDelete