Sunday 23 August 2009

Anything but hip-hop and rap


Lou doesn't like DJs at trivia events, but I do. I've been on SL a year, and one thing I have really liked is listening to music I have never heard before, or coming across old tunes again. And today I want to talk about those ubiquitous SL people, the DJs.

Because of SL I have bought loads of CDs in the past year, and my iPod has all sorts of different music compared with a year ago. Sometimes it has confirmed my negative prejudices too. I never have liked rap or hip-hop, and, no matter how much I listen too, I can't make it sound any better. Even Nickelback is better than that, sorry hip-hoppers

Samantha Poindexter hosting Strip Trivia, she uses an innovative HUD system that removes the speed typing element, as well as people's clothes.

4pm Fridays





For me, a good DJ can add such a lot to a trivia event. When playing I really enjoy the interaction a good DJ can have with the players. The best DJs get to know their customers, and there is something so touching about having a DJ play you a song because they know I like it. I often wondered, Sinnamon and Angelo, do you remember music I like, or do you make notes in avi profiles? You both do it so well.

Some DJs become an integral part of the event. Cully does Alphabet Trivia twice a week at Melodi, and the DJ plays tunes starting with, or bands starting with, the letter in question. I shall be very interested to see how they get on when X and Q come up, there is definitely such as thing as too much Queen and XTC. DJ Kewan also has a "middle bit" in the interval, where players are invited to identify music clips,, so that Rach Borkotron can win a prize. I usually get 1 out of 10, though I excelled myself with zero last week.

I'm not here to say bad things about DJs, but sometimes DJs seem determined to play their own sets, and to take no notice of the crowd and just do as they please. Unless you happen to be playing British indie music, that's just dull, and you're not working for your crowd. It's just the same with trivia hosts, we have remember we're here to entertain.

Readers of my blog will know I host at Lilly's. The Wednesday and Friday 12 noon events were established before I hosted, and I view myself as merely one of the current hosts. Mars Lake and Sandi Losangeles DJ these events, and both are such a pleasure to work with, and their sets add so much to the event.

But if I'm asked which is my favourite, I'd have to say Early Birds and Night Owls at 11pm Fridays. That's my own event, and it's quieter in tone than the other two events, and without Challenges and Easter Eggs and shouting, and it's a different crowd. And lately Chantal Glenwalker has been getting out of her RL bed to DJ the event, and she is so good, picking up from questions, answers and chat, and she tunes her set so well to our event. I find myself looking forward to Chantal's next tune, wondering if she'll pick up on what someone just said, or an asnwer someone just gave. I'm not saying all DJs should do it that way, but I find it matches my early morning hosting style so well.


Cerys Curtois at Coco's Shiraz event









T-Shirt winner

Becki Verne won Friday's T-Shirt Challenge and a rolled-over 300L on Friday, so wtg her! The questions was: "In "The Grapes of Wrath", what was the name of the family who travelled to California?"

Becki beat two others who got the answer before the 5 second cutoff. I'm not sure if anyone has signed Becki up for next weekend's Buccaneer Bowl, but she's been doing really well at events I've been at, and if you're looking for a player...



Becki Verne, winner of a Karmel and Lotus Lilly's T-shirt








I know you want Lindeny questions to finish, but please may I ask for comments about my new picture format? Does it work for you? If not, can I improve it?

Replace the letters, answer in comments please. Leave me your avi name and I'll pay 10L for each first correct answer, paid in world.

1. 42 TATLTUAE

2. 77SS

3. 8 FIAM

4. 12 POCN

5. T39S

6. ATO2C

7. 2468M

8. 4 BBWBTT

9. 2001 ASO

10. 4LG2LB





32 comments:

  1. I'm snagging the easy one:

    9. 2001: A Space Odyssey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that would go fast!

    Edit: Picture of Nelly removed and the correct one on Becki added

    ReplyDelete
  3. 42 the answer to life the universe and everything

    four frogs in a meatloaf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean 8 frogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it depends how big they are

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twelve pounds of chicken necks

    ReplyDelete
  7. 42 is right Chadd but I usually use more than 8 frogs in my meatloaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2. 77 sunset strip
    3. 8 furlongs in a mile
    5. The 39 Steps
    6. A Tale of 2 Cities
    7. 2468 motorway?

    ReplyDelete
  9. As for the photo format, when I was around for one of these a lot of people, including myself, couldn't get the pic to load-- regardless of how often we refreshed, the new photo wouldn't come up until long after the question was over. Also, the photos show up in your RSS feed long after the fact. Been meaning to recommend that you use Flickr instead, Lotus. You could either direct people to the general url of your photo stream (which you can change to flickr.com/photos/lotusceriano or /lotuspocus or something instead of a number) or you could paste the individual url for the photo pages. It would be much faster for all involved, since you're cutting out the Blogger middle man. You could also upload them ahead of time, mark them as private, then simply make them public right before you asked the question, etc. I like the concept of the photo questions (and that you're not trying to rez a photo in-world in during a laggy game, because that's usually a disaster) but the tech needs some smoothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 10. 4 Legs Good 2 Legs Bad

    ReplyDelete
  11. and i just noticed Mako got that in while I was trying to log in and host at the same time lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2. 77 sunset strip
    3. 8 furlongs in a mile
    4. 12 pairs of cranial nerves
    5. the 39 steps
    6. a tale of 2 cities
    7. 2-4-6-8 Motorway
    9. 2001 A Space Oddyssey
    10. 4 little girls, 2 little boys

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mako thanks, I'll chat to you about how to do that, thats sound the perfect vehicle for pictures.

    OK who's got what...

    Mako has 2,3,5,6 and 7. I thought 7 was hard.

    Alanna has 10, I thought I'd be giving clues for that too.

    And Becki has 4, 12 pairs of cranial nerves.

    So that leaves No.8. If I say 29 August does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  14. 8. 4 best buccaneers will be the triviators? lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. 4 buccaneer bowlers will be the triviators...
    4 buccaneers battle with best ten teams...

    lol i dunno, lotus

    ReplyDelete
  16. 4-time buccaneer bowl winners be the triviators?

    ReplyDelete
  17. something about the bucc bowl... something about the triviators... :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. 4 buccaneer bowl wins by the triviators

    ReplyDelete
  19. jaysus, finally - thanks nelly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WTG Nelly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lotus - great post as always. To answer a couple of the points/questions.... when a DJ is asked as politely and entertainingly as you do to play a particular song, and then gets thanked afterwards for it, they can't help but remember it and can't help but want to repeat the same experience - i.e. we remember.

    As for Cully's Alphabet cohorts at Melodi - we're all glad to hear you're enjoying the "middle bits" - and rest assured that Q is coming soon, and Gew, Kewin and myself are more than up to the challenge, whichever of us draws the short straw that night - "Quarterflash", "Queen Latifah", "Quireboys", Bowie's "Queen Bitch" .... and for your good self, how about The Smith's "The Queen is Dead"? Incidentally, would ? (question mark) and the Misterons ("96 Tears") be cheating?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wait, there are *39* steps now? Ugh, I was only on step 3 in my twelve-step program! *Grumbles and takes another bite of her frogloaf*

    Thanks for the compliments about DJing, Lotus. I have a lot of fun doing it, although it can sometimes be a bit frantic when I'm double-hatted as DJ and trivia host at the same time, especially when someone requests a song I don't have and I have to try to get it. But that is one of my favorite parts of DJing too -- the interplay between the guests and the DJ. I have been exposed to a lot of great music I wouldn't have otherwise known of through requests from people for songs/artists that I had to go find (especially some of the British acts for my European guests), and I also really get a kick when some song I played is new to people and they ask who it is and really like it. As for your tastes, Lotus, they aren't very hard to remember. ;) Just shoot for Thatcher-era and later British.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just want to state for the record that I don't dislike DJs, it's just that I usually don't hear them. ;)

    And there's some rap and hip-hop I like. And some twangy country. And some spacey synth music. And thumping house. And some swing. And some bop. And some pop. Even some free jazz. And some…oh lordy I can't decide. It can all be good. And it can all be bad too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. But Lou if I had said "Lou is indifferent to DJs" that would have been a 4 syllable word in my first sentence, and even I've done enough journalism to know you just don't do that.

    And if I said "Lou doesn't care for DJs" then just think how Sinn and Jez at Monochrome would have felt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. In Canada "indifferent" only has three syllables, but I concede your point on antipolysyllabicmentarianism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lotus,

    The picture format worked well for me the other night (well, your morning I guess).

    What I did was open a second window with your Blog, reduced both the SL and Blog windows to arrange them side by side - when you said "Now" (or whatever you said), I refreshed the screen with your Blog and it worked just fine. However, I often have trouble with a link posted in chat (Chadd does this sometimes) in that it takes a long time to open. If it's just a matter of looking at something it's OK, but if it is to answer a question where time is of the essence, then it wouldn't work for me

    I think if you announce that the picture on your Blog is coming up so that everyone has enough time to open the second window, and then remind them to refresh, it would be OK.

    I really like the picture element by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been away and have missed all these.

    With nothing left i shall merely pedantically claim that Q10 depends on which version of animalism you are currently following.

    It could be 4 legs good 2 legs better

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think, Hilda, I'm going to try Mako's suggestion of using Flickr for picture questions. People seem to like the picture element, but I wouldn't want to do more than 2 in 15 or 20 questions.

    Tonight I'm doing a theme, only the second time I've ever done a the,me, and it's on one of my favourite authors. No, it's not her, and trust me I'll make it work for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  29. To Comment on the blog - Like Lou I usually travel round the grid deaf. I don't have an unlimited broadband package, so I do watch my downloads. As I usually have to use my headphones to listen as well, It can be a bit difficult if my head just doesn't want noise.

    There are a lot of Dj's who just play 'their' set, and you have to question if they're actually there, or have they wandered off somewhere and just left the stream running. There is one event I attend where I simply just don't bother with the music side at all. The so called interaction of the Dj - well - isn't - and you may as well listen to the radio.

    I don't attend events where Sinn is DJ'in due to a clash of events, but I do know from previous visits that she does pay attention to her audience, and is always ready with a tune or 2 for them.

    I am of course biased, and at the risk of inflating and already inflated ego, there is usually one DJ who gets me to turn on my stream. He knows who he is:) A good Dj at a trivia event will play to their audience, and will help keep the atmosphere and the conversation flowing, without taking anything away from the trivia host, and without inposing himself on the event. So it's just as well he runs Melodi, as I listen to the stream when I'm hosting there, as I need to keep an eye in the middle bits and different songs being played. (Q is on it's way Lotus - and I'm reliably informed that it won't be all Queen)

    I will admit to attending trivia for the trivia, rather than the music, but I also know a good DJ can really give an event a boost. I can't always concentrate though if i have music drumming through my headphones - so apologies to any DJ's I may not listen to. It's nothing personal.

    ReplyDelete