Tuesday 21 July 2009

Any questions?

"Lotus, where do you get your questions from?" People sometimes ask me this in-world, and so I thought today I'd share my question writing process with you. Lette has blogged about this already, but what's the harm in a bit of brazen plagiarism? She has also touched on this subject in her interview with Shale and Chadd,, and I was really very impressed with the trouble they take over question writing.

But in an average week I ask 16 questions in each of two Lilly's main events, and then another 20 if I do Early Birds and Night Owls, which is most weeks. So that's OMG, 52 questions every week to write. And with that number of questions my motto has to be "Pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap". I like to run at least 100 questions ahead, and that means I have to keep the questions coming.

So where do my questions come from? I stole one from Gogomodo, and two from a quiz book I bought. All the rest were written with my own fair hands. And, in spite of the impression I might have given you, I do like my questions to be accurate, and I do take some care over framing the question and researching the answer. Wiki I love you so, did I tell you today?

My questions spring from three main sources. Inspiration is good, and sometimes I think of a good question and I write the idea down to frame a question later. But for churning out 25 questions, nothing works better for me than sitting at my keyboard for an hour or two's focused question writing.

My first focused method is my subjects card. I have a card with about 30 subject headings on, and I work through them in turn. So we go history, fashion, exploration, TV, literature, booze, nature... you get the message. It works well for me provided that I don't make the fatal mistake of logging onto SL. SL and serious question writing just do not mix.

And my other method is this wonderful book. The author of "The A-Z of Almost Everything" is a serial quiz show contestant, and it's aimed at quiz compilers. I can just sit and work through the book pulling out questions... films, No.1 singles, fashion designers, bingo calls, sports, capitals, cocktails... and so much else. It's a British book so I have to declare a Cultural Bias Alert, but it gets my questions written.

Oh yes, let me tell you I wrote my 1000th question for Lilly's a couple of weeks ago. I haven't asked it yet, but when I do I'm going to do something special. I'm not sure how yet, but when I do it'll for sure involve lots of Lindens.

OK, I've had enough of her, I hear you say, when is she going to hand out some Lindens? And quite right too, answer in comments please, first right answer gets 10L, paid in-world. It might be a few days before I pay you, but pay you I will. I do, of course, need your SL name to pay you.

What do the letters stand for? (* denotes UK Cultural Bias Alert, **US CBA)

1. 24 HITD?

2. 7 COTR?

3. 10 DS?*

4. 50 WTLYL?**

5. 8 PIAG?

6. 1 RTRTA?

7. 1600 PA?**

8. 12 MITY?

9. 1066 BOH?*

10. 64000 DQ?**

11. 20000 LUTS?

12. 76 TITBP

13. 7 DS?

14. 1760 YIAM?

15. 10000 HIBL?* This one's hard I think, 60L if anyone gets it before I post a clue in 24 hours' time.





12 comments:

  1. 1. 24 Hours In The Day
    2. 7 Colors Of The Rainbow
    3. 10 Downing Street
    4. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover
    5. 8 Pints In A Gallon
    6. 1 Ring To Rule Them All
    7. 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
    8. 12 Months In The Year
    9. 1066 Battle of Hastings
    10. 64000 Dollar Question
    11. 20000 Leagues Under The Sea
    12. 76 Trombones In (should be "led", yes?) The Big Parade
    13. 7 Deadly Sins
    14. 1760 Yards In A Mile
    15. 10000 Holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are 9.6 pints in a gallon not 8!
    I think it's 4000 holes not 10000 ?


    Impressive nonetheless :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok didn't read the comments cos I want to see how many I get:)

    24 hours in the day
    7 colours of the rainbow
    10 downing street
    50 ways to leave your lover
    8 pints in a gallon
    1 rtrta
    1600 pa
    12 months in the year
    1066 battle of hastings
    64000 dollar question
    20000 leagues under the sea
    76 trombones in the big parade
    7 deadly sins
    1760 yards in a mile

    and I'll work on the last one:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10000 = hundred in binary language?
    probably not:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mako you are just awesome. Every one correct, even the ones I got wrong. 200L to you.

    60L to Chadd for pointing out the error, as he correctly says the Beatles song was 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire.

    9.6 pints in a gallon? Where did you get that from? I make it 9.6076 devalued US pints in an imperial gallon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just about recovered from seeing the havoc Mako wreaked on my questions, and knowing Mako well, I'd be very surprised if he Googled it. I bet he does The Times crossword in 5 minutes too.

    But I've just had a wonderful idea for a new question format. I can't wait to run it past Lette and Sinnamon, who kindly listen to my unworkable new ideas from time to time. They'll probably tell me it's been tried before, nobody liked it, it didn't work anyway and the person left SL shortly afterwards.

    But if it does turn out to be a goer, expect to see it at our Lilly's 1KQ event (1 thousandth question)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Lotus, we all have different types of trivia brains, you just happened to head right up my alley... these clicked for me. Now throw an anagram or damn word scramble at me and watch me blank. ;)

    Good hustle, Cully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wtg Mako - I usually miss these cos I read the blog after someone else, so I thought I'd still have a go without reading who'd put what first:)
    My dad did a quiz with some of these for a church event and we really enjoyed them. Next time I'll have to keep more of an eye on your blog to get here first (which probably means I have to get up at some ungodly hour knowing you, Lotus:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did really well too Cully, my Beatles song mistake threw you I Imagine.

    And it's the rest of you who keep bizarre hours. Why don't you all go to bed earlier and get up earlier?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think i have ever seen a clock that says 5am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sinnamon Sands24 July 2009 at 01:23

    I thought the lyric was "4,000 Ho's in Blackburn, Lancashire." I remember the rap video and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! Own up! Who is Father Dougal?

    Mrs Doyle

    ReplyDelete