Thursday 25 June 2009

Let me entertain you!

Reading other blogs, I’ve been struck by how differently people think what makes a good trivia event. Some trivia players I know and respect seem to be saying that they like events to run at a brisk pace with a fast QPH (questions per hour, thanks Lette).

Now I was quite surprised by that. While there’s something to be said for getting the event moving along, as a player I really do like the host to go some way towards entertaining us. And 1 hour events for me are a little like shrimps: they can be delicious but in the end a little unsatisfying.


I know some people have limited time, especially those who play during work hours. Some people will just want the questions, answers and lindens, and for new players much of what goes on apart from the questions might seem exclusive and cliquey.


But that’s not me! I like to get to an event, say hi to my friends, maybe exchange a few IMs and take part in the general chat that goes with most trivia events. And I like my trivia hosts to entertain me, so step forward the great entertainers of Second life, like Sinnamon Sands, Nelly Swindlehurst and Sharon Scofield! A good host like the three S’s can fill the time between questions and get the best out of the crowd. And DJs, yes please, especially ones that take my requests and play British music. Angelo and Sinn, that's you. I mean, who can tire of the Kaiser Chiefs and Blur? Sploders don’t do it for me, but people seem to like them, so bring them on! 


I blogged some of this from Circe’s Inferno event. The theme was Arabian Nights and the club was full of carpets, camels, tents and cushions. The place was packed with guests wearing harem clothing, the DJ was buzzing (no Brit music but hey not perfect here either!). The effect was magical and, for me entertaining. One player had to spoil the effect of course by having nothing appropriate in her inventory and had just woken up and not enough time to get anything, no prizes for guessing who that was.


And, I guess, we carry our likes and dislikes as players over to our hosting style. So at our Lilly’s event we have T-shirt challenge prizes with rollovers, money for typos, Easter Eggs and halftime guest trivia. Sometimes I hope it works, sometimes maybe it doesn’t, but it’s the sort of thing I like as a player and I sure enjoy doing it as a host.


Alanna, Honey and Rosalyn go Arabian Nights at Inferno

Circe's Trivia at Inferno on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 2030


And, a final point, there are so many hosted events about right now that it shouldn’t be too difficult to find events that suit your taste in trivia, and please don't anybody think I am saying there is only one way to run trivia events.


Do let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. It is nice to have a range of game types to attend; sometimes just the questions are the focus, but sometimes (Lilly's!!) it's more about having fun with the fen and the inside jokes (once you learn them all). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for a diversity of events: sometimes I like the chit-chattery and relaxed pace of something like Lilly's Pub or Double Standards, but sometimes I just can't tear loose the time for it—two hours is a huge chunk of time in an SL "day." I agree Sinn and Nelly and Sharon (and Lotus!) do a great job at these games—I attend whenever I can, enjoy them a ton, and I truly admire them for it.

    The music thing is a little awkward for me, for complicated reasons. Brief summary: DJs probably hate me because I almost never realize they're there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. John that raises a really important point. Inside jokes are funny if you're on the inside.

    Perhaps I'll come back to making new players feel welcome in another post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two hours is tough for a lot of folks, for sure. But, longer games are usually what I hope for - there's time for smiles between the questions, and you can never have enough smiles in a day.

    ReplyDelete